Want a little relish with that?

Do you relish the process of daily living? We may remember to "screw the result", but without "relishing the process" that leaves us without a lot to get excited about. Not to mention that if, after all that, we don't end up with the hoped-for result, what is left if we don't have a pleasant journey to reflect on?

When I first heard this expression I had all my emotional energy focused on an outcome I was hoping for: If I do A, then B will happen....no? Well maybe if I do A, B, C and D, then E will happen? Well, to make a long story short, I spent a phenomenal amount of time beating my head against a metaphorical brick wall trying to break through to an outcome that not only was clearly not meant to be, but that also in retrospect would probably have turned my life into a train wreck! Are you nodding yet? Safe to say we've all done it...."I'll finally be happy when..." "The only thing I really need is...." "It'll happen after I do THIS...." Yeah, well, maybe not.

Sometimes what we see as a means to an end is an end in itself; do something kind for its own intrinsic value, not for the perceived reward it will bring. Give a gift or service to improve someone's situation, not to obligate them. Spend time with someone to enjoy their company, not because you think it will make them like you more. Enjoy the taste of your coffee rather than just ingesting it to jump-start your foggy morning brain! Appreciating the blues sky and birdsong as you walk will not keep you from getting you where you're going, but it WILL make the journey more enjoyable.

Comments